Friday, August 17, 2007

sucker

**********************************************************
Friday- mid-morning
Not myself- John Mayer
7.9
**********************************************************

Someone in my office just made the yummiest smelling popcorn... now i'm so hungry i think my stommach is eating itself. But starting yesterday, I take my lunch earlier than I'm used to- 11:30. why, you ask, am I taking my lunch early? because somehow having been hired in the IT department I now get to fill in whenever it is needed for the swithboard/front desk reception for the whole school. yup, that's right. they pulled the ole' "bait and switch" on me and since i'm 1. nice and 2. can talk to people in a friendly way I now get to fill in for Rachel (the last of the student workers to stay at the swithboard position). She's the only receptionist we have so it has now become my job to keep her as happy as possible and give her breaks, bring her food and pretty gifts so she doesn't quit.... but she'll quit. I guarantee it. and you know who'll end up being the FULL TIME switchboard receptionist when she leaves? yup. me.

reasons why i'm so not excited about this:
1. I did not attend Vanguard University. I don't know where anything is. I don't know who anyone is. I look like an idiot when people ask me "where's the counseling department?" or "where's financial aid?" and i stare at the little map they gave me for five minutes before saying "i think it's here..." and point to a random building on the map...
2. There is no possible way to dial a Vanguard extention directly. This means that EVERY call that comes to the university goes through the switchboard.
3. You can't even get up to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water when you're at the switchboard because you're the only person answering phones.

i miss my old job.

5 comments:

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

That job would make me want to pour acid in my eye and then stab it with a sharp object. But just think...you aren't having to dive to Corona every morining and then drive in the traffice on the way home! JOY!

Keith said...

dude. that sux.

Shanda said...

I'm sorry for the annoyingness contained in this switchboard catastrophe! Oh the adventures of life!

Brent said...

I'm with Courtney. That sucks!

Jon V. said...

If you need a tour I would be more than willing to give you one.