Thursday, August 23, 2007

office supply party

A few weeks ago the secretaries here at Vanguard had what was called an "office supply party" where everyone brings all their unwanted and unused office supplies and puts them on tables out on the patio and then go crazy over what everyone else brought outside that they didn't want. it was pretty incredible to watch, especially that I had an amazing view of the whole ordeal from my desk. it was actually quite disturbing- watching ordinarily hopelessly professional unamused administratives throw down and get crazy- throwing elbows left and right to get to this unused item or that "I can't believe no one wants this" thing (Rolodex's or desk organizers... so sad..)

The girl I work with in the office was giving me a hard time all day- "you're not coming to the party, Amber?"

oh yea. nothing sound better than to venture outside my office and possibly end up with a black eye because i unknowingly got between the 65 year old lady with Texas hair and her soon to be new stapler. sure. be right out.

But being the "new girl" I couldn't avoid the "supply party" all day (yes, this "party" lasted all day) and my co-worker guilted me into going outside and "having fun"

{translation: I wasn't being a "team player"}

So i went outside and saw some pretty amazing stuff... pretty much everything from the set of "Office Space" and everything else from the early nineties came outside closets and storage units to die. I was amused.

I was especially amused by some of the pieces of "art" that were shockingly free... go figure that no one wanted to look at a ceramic TILE with a picture of a tiger leaning on a rock with the WORLD spinning behind him... i snagged that one immediately and sneakily put it up on my co-workers wall (i think he secretly thinks it's cheesy and ugly but was chicken to admit it because he thinks that i really actually liked it and that it was an actual gift... haha... that's funny)

The other "piece" was a pink, dark pink, light pink, mauve and green painting of a tea pot with hoffing awful roses and other disgustingly girly flowers that came to the frame to die... it's bad.

so i came back into the office and she said "how was it??" with a big smile of expectation on her face and i couldn't resist: "it was great!" i said. and i started to tell her about the painting from the early nineties that i just discovered and just as i was about to say the word "nauseating" she squealed and said "Oh my gosh I loved that one! I didn't know if you'd like it so I left it out there" and ran out the door leaving me there in the reception area with my mouth hanging wide open. she runs back into the office HOLDING THE PICTURE in her hands (it's 1'x4') giggling saying "where should we put it?" running around listing all the possible "new homes" for our new favorite painting.


Now it's in our break room.

1 comment:

Brent said...

That's why I just take stuff from desks after people leave.

Your pen holder and its contents have been on my desk for a while now.