Thursday, November 1, 2007

LOST!

this blog includes some bits of "tmi" (too much info)... You've been warned


Brent's blog about Disneyland reminded me that I had not blogged about my scary experience last week.
Sunday's are my favorite because we usually get to go to Disneyland. Hear me: I'm not a crazy Disney freak- I don't own a t-shirt with Mickey on it, I don’t have Pooh Bear bumper sticker or a Minnie Mouse license plate cover. I just like going and it’s a fun date-night that doesn’t get old.
So every Sunday I have this “parking lot ritual” where I go through my purse and pull out the following and put them strategically in my pockets or nicely ask Brent to hold them for me: chapstick/lip gloss, Disneyland pass, drivers license, debit card, Kaiser card (just in case), and an Advil or a migraine pill (I often get headaches) and for some reason this week I decided to bring about two dollars in quarters. Every week I wrestle with the dilemma taking my cell phone with me or leaving it in the car. I usually end up leaving it in the car (Brent has two, so it’s okay).

This week was a little different. We ate a late breakfast and got to Disneyland around 3:30 (no lunch yet). In the car I took some medicine because I was starting to get a migraine. First thing we did when we arrived was go to Woody’s Round up and decorated Halloween cookies. (and by that I mean we decorated aah cookie)
After that my tummy was starting to hurt from taking medicine without food, so we went over to Gapetto’s cafĂ© and I got a toddler meal which was just the cutest thing ever. It came with about four ounces of macaroni and cheese (which wasn’t bad- it’s one of my favorite foods so I can say that with confidence) some no sugar added apple sauce and a baby bottle of water.

We then rode two rides (I think) and then my tummy started hurting. Not like, “oh mommy, my tummy hurts I can’t go to school today” but like my stomach was being ripped to shreds from the inside out. I thought I was going to die. Or explode, then die.

But I couldn’t “go”.

So we decide to go and ride pirates before we use our fastpasses for Haunted Mansion. Then suddenly: I needed to use the restroom.

So I turn to brent and say, “I have to go to the restroom, I’ll meet you guys at the exit” and then take off for the ladies room to pay my water bill.

I take care of my business then mosey on over to the exit for Pirates of the Carribean. And wait. And wait. And wait. (Remember: I don’t have my cell phone, so I don’t know how long I’ve been waiting- I have a terrible concept of time)
So then I think: “oh no, what if they really WEREN’T going on Pirates first! What if they went on Haunted Mansion??” So I run over to the exit for Haunted Mansion- they’re not there. Of course they’re not there. We had FOUR fastpasses. There were FOUR of us. They wouldn’t use them without me… duh.
So I run back over to the exit for Pirates. They’re STILL not there. So I wait, and wait, and wait. I’m starting to panic. “Where are they? What if they came off the ride while I was at Haunted mansion and then they went over to the bathroom to wait for me? What if I can’t find them? How will I get home? I don’t know Brent’s phone number. OMG I’M LOST AT DISNEYLAND!!!”
So I calmly walk over to the hostess for Blue Bayou and say “I’m lost.” She smiles. I’m a 24 year old woman. Who’s lost. So I ask her, “Is there a pay phone nearby?”
I’ll give you one guess as to who I called with the change that I HAPPENED to have in my pocket... (thank you, Jesus)
Yup. My Dad.
Here’s me, after having to call him three times to get him to pick up (nutso people call him all the time so he doesn’t answer strange numbers):
“Daddy it’s me! I’m lost at Disneyland! I don’t have my phone and I don’t know Brent’s number! Can you staffnet him and call him and tell him where I am??”
At that point, Andrew walked right up to me and I was no longer lost.

It was pretty scary. So now I have Brent’s phone number memorized, and the four of us have a meeting place “just in case we ever get lost again” and by “we” they mean “me”.

6 comments:

Jessica McKnight said...

Amber this is why I love you and we really need to be better friends than we are because this would TOTALLY happen to me. The sicko part and everything. The happiest place on earth, just became a lot more terrifying for me.

Heather McTaggart said...

WOW! That's quite the story, see you will have to ask the guys about how crazy I am about needing to know where my kids are in public, I can drive ANYONE crazy with the "where's Kelly?" game, it's insane I know but I can't stop! So, now when we are in public with you I can say "where's Amber" OK? I wouldn't want to lose you!

Brent said...

Normally one would wait at the meeting point if they were lost. Not sure how one gets lost at Disneyland when one knows where everything is. But you were able to do it. Congrats.

Brent said...

I love the "OMG, Where's Kelly?" game.

By that, I mean I love making fun of Heather for losing her child constantly. Now I can laugh more when she asks "Where's Amber?"

Heather McTaggart said...

Dear Brent,

I don't lose my child, everyone else miss places her! Ask Holly about a little visit from the Anaheim Police Dept. when SHE lost Kelly!

Your friend and now Amber's new keeper,

Heather

PS. OMG Where's Amber?

Insured Asset Solutions said...

Ha Ha. I want to play too. By the way, how do you not have Brent's number memorized?! Lesson learned.