Monday, January 12, 2009

No, thank YOU

Okay.
Here's the thing.

There's something that irks me like no other. I really can't figure out why it bothers me so much, except for the fact that it happens a lot and every single time I think to myself "Why is this a big deal??"

It just is.

I email a LOT at my job. People email me requests, I make tasks for them and then I send them work order numbers or tell them what they need to do to fix the problem themselves, etc. I do Helpdesk. It's what I do. I email a lot. So what.
So what?
So what is the fact that 9 out of 10 times, people respond with one of two phrases "Thank you" or "Thanks."
Now, this might not seem like a big deal, except for the fact that I send out close to 200 emails a day. A DAY! (You do the math, I don't feel like it.)

"Thanks."

Really? You sent a whole email just for that? That's all I get? I got excited when I saw that I had an email from you (okay, that's usually not true) and I opened it and all I get is "Thanks"?? Not even a "Wow, thanks so much, I really appreciate that/you etc." I mean, come on. That took ten extra seconds and it's so much more genuine than "thanks."

Oh, and don't even get me started on "thank you" text messages.
The other day I got a text from someone and all it said was "tks" (and I'm not even gonna START with text messages that just say "okay" or worse "k")
UGH!!
It's not that I don't like to be thanked. I do. It's nice to know I'm appreciated and that other people are grateful for something I said, did, gave, information I sent, etc.
But please. Do me a favor...

Don't waste the cyber space.

2 comments:

Jon V. said...

Couldn't agree with you more. Except if I always reply "I really appreciate that/you" you will no longer find value in that. Or at least that's what I imagine, plus I'm not sure I could reply with that and be truthful. Just being honest here.

ambrosia said...

Why don't you appreciate me, Jon?